RCMP Halloween tips
Friday, 30 October 2020. Posted in Shootin' the Breeze
Though Halloween might look a little different this year, the safety of our little ghosts and goblins is just as important as ever. Red Deer RCMP would like to remind children and adults about a few Halloween safety tips so all may enjoy a fun Halloween.
Trick or Treating
- Ensure costumes have a perfectly frightful fit. Make sure the length does not pose a tripping hazard. Wear bright costumes, reflective tape, glow sticks or carry a flashlight.
- Walk on the sidewalk when possible, visiting houses on one side of the street at a time.
- Choose costumes that allow a non medical mask to be worn underneath. Make sure you can see and breath comfortably.
- Ideally, children should be accompanied by a parent, adult family member, an older sibling or trusted family friend.
- Children should not enter a house nor a vehicle of someone they do not know.
- Avoid alleys, dark parking areas, or vacant lots.
- Maintain social distancing of 2 meters, try and stay in your own neighbourhood and avoid touching doorbells or knocking on doors by yelling “trick or treat!”
- Don’t go trick or treating if feeling ill.
Motorists play a large part in our Trick or Treater’s Safety
- Drive slowly through residential areas, watching for children that may be on the road or using cross walks.
- Carefully enter and exit driveways and alleys.
- Watch for children darting out from houses and cars.
- When approaching intersections, be extra diligent in coming to full and complete stops; proceeding slowly thereafter.
Tips for Treat Givers
- Don’t hand out candy if you are feeling ill or self-isolating.
- Wear a non medical mask that fully covers your nose and mouth
- Use tongs to hand out pre-packaged candy and find creative ways to maintain distance from trick or treaters.
- Keep a clear path from the road/sidewalk to your front door. Remove any items that may pose a tripping hazard.
- Leave the porch lights on.
- Pets should be kept inside away from trick or treaters.
- Report any suspicious activities to the RCMP.
More information on Halloween during COVID-19 can be found at https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.alberta.ca/Halloween&source=gmail&ust=1604161379879000&usg=AFQjCNEteSWoHXblhdqbpvDgigAJ78ZHRA">www.Alberta.ca/Halloween. The Red Deer RCMP wishes everyone a safe and skele-fun Halloween.